Homestead Update: June 11

This is the first time I've felt like we finally have something to show for all the hard work we've done over the past month.

To think this was all flat boring grass...


I built the arch from tree saplings we found. It'll be great for beans and such to trellis on and it's a fun feature to play under.


Most of our vegetables are in this bed and we'll be happy when it begins to fill in.
We scored these stumps from the side of the road - perfect for quick seating, to define the space and for jumping.


Our elderberry has flowered which is incredibly special.
When we got these from the Botanical Gardens last year, they struggled. Then with the harshest winter we've had in decades, I was sure they wouldn't survive.
Yet, they are thriving now and we're darn excited. 


Pinterest inspired us to grown potatoes this way and I would've never expected them to be so successful, especially never having grown potatoes before.


Garlic is our foundation in this garden.
There is so little to fuss with, it's one of the first green things we see in the spring and it's easy to plant the following year from the harvest.
Best of all, we use it in our everyday cooking.


I love seeing the height differences - trees, shrubs, ground cover...


The fairy house has moved now, to be close to the medicinal garden.


And finally, finally we have a fire pit!
Conveniently located near our new berry patch...


What would a garden update be without pictures of the girls?










0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Other Blogs I Love

  • How charming is this little hobbitesque house? It was built by Simon Dale for his family for only £3000. The frame of the house is made from locally s...
  • Love, Melanie
  • Hello, dear friends! I'm so sorry I've been absent here for so long! Summer has been so wonderfully busy and full of joy. We have been doing lots of things...
  • Many moons ago when I was studying agriculture as a farm apprentice I became close friends with my bunk mate Ian. Ian and I didn’t have much in common at f...
  • There was a slight shift in my breathing this weekend, as I settled into a few projects here at home. The first few weeks of this whole thing felt like a f...

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Meet The Author

I’m Stephanie, the mind and Momma behind The Heirloom Family. I created this blog as a way to capture the magic of our family and the beauty of every day slow and simple living. I also hope it serves as an inspiration to you as well.

Nestled in our little corner of the Earth in Western New York, I am lucky enough to share my home with my husband and our daughter, along with 4 cheerful cats.

We strive for a wholesome life, one that is slow and steady. I want to breathe it in, this time we have, and I might just be lucky enough to see the magic in it all.

There are so many things in life that I love – nature. crochet. photography. gardening. cooking. faith. honey. reading. sunsets and sunrises. flowers. ballet. enchantment. Dave Matthews Band. the moon. rainbows. babywearing. lavender and sandalwood. celebrations. music. hippie. poetry. love. the forest. romantic history. cats. dreamcatchers. wool. heritage. family. lilac. red wine. memories.