Garden Update: July 12

This is what we've been waiting for!
All season we dreamed of a wild and free homestead and it is shaping up to be just that!


Even Maggie cat has an extra appreciation for all the fun places to hide and pounce!


I simply adore our elderberry. There is something enchanting about them and the fact that they came back after such a disappointing show last year. 
They just seem to "elder" to me and I like having them to protect our garden.
Plus, I plan on making medicine from them for the winter flu season.


This right here is my favorite spot in the garden.
We've created this - it wasn't like this and in fact, it was one of my most dreaded places of the yard before our transformation. Now I sit here  between the elderberry and first-ever potato plants just to breathe.


Go potatoes, go!
We've never done potatoes before but it looks like we're in for a season of success!


I made this trellis from saplings that would bend and pull as easily as I needed.
They make a perfect bean pole and better yet, they are fun to run under and pretend it's a troll bridge, castle entrance or cave dwelling.

(PS, my girl picked out this dress all on her own and I love how happy it makes her that her autonomy is appreciated and valued.)


Beautiful onion flowers are always such a surprise to me.
You can also see our nasturtiums trying their best to compete with everything growing there.


My Daddy got us a packet of Jack-Be-Little pumpkins when I told him we were searching for them.
I wanted to have a few when autumn rolls around because they are fun to place around and create with.

If this rate keeps up, we'll be able to supply the whole neighborhood with little pumpkins.
I should've placed them in a different spot though - they are taking over everything, including the walkway. I just thought small pumpkins = small(er) plants but that wasn't quite the way ti worked out.


A sunflower has volunteered itself incredibly this year.
Our bird feeder hung there most of last year and something must've stuck because here it goes!
What a cool surprise!


There is something simply adorable about baby squash...
Could be that I know it'll be delicious!



Pickling cucumbers!
I was given Tessa's great grandmother's recipe for refrigerator pickles over the winter that is incredible so I knew we'd have to grow some of these guys.


Good old zucchini.
I feel like it's a prerequisite that all gardens must hold at least one zucchini plant before it can be called a garden.


We are stoked about Swiss chard this year.
We have a deep appreciation for greens that has grown every year and we looked forward to our luck with this beauty.
I sauteed the chopped stems with butter and white wine and then added the julienned leaves when the stems were soft just until wilted. Some Parmesan and lemon juice.... yum.
We now must have an entire plot of Swiss chard.


Garlic.
You are so good to us.
We don't tend you.
We don't fuss and worry - heck, we don't even have to weed your bed.
Yet, you reliably supply us with the most delicious garlic throughout the year.


We've learned this year just how easy radishes are to grow.
Direct sow, quick germination and fast harvest.
This radish variety is spicy!


We've longed for the smell of tomato plants for a long, long cold season.
Now that we have our chance, we go out as frequently as we can just to rub the leaves between our fingers until the tomatoes ripen.


Since most of our berry fruit was stolen by the chickens before we fenced them out, the three of us watch these black berries with such anticipation.


Among the food crop, we have plenty of floral beauty to surprise us here and there,


We've got our fingers crossed for brussel sprouts come end of summer.
We've learned to let them stay as long as they'd like instead of pulling the plant out as we did last year and call it quits too early.


Can you believe just how much the elderberry has returned with such force?
They were sticks last year - sticks - and now look at them!


Up front on our porch we have the always beautiful pansies. Their coloring is so intricate that I can't help but love them.



Instead of flowers in the front bed to welcome guests, we chose salad greens and lettuces.
It should be expected.


Oddly enough, we have another volunteer of the squash variety (not sure what kind yet). Right below our birdhouse in the front yard, Scott noticed this growing so we can't wait to find out what exactly was brought to us by the birds.


Broccoli never easy for us so buying the matured plant made it easier for us.


This is our little hidden spot.
It offers perfect share, quiet and peacefulness that is hard to replicate.


It probably helps that my Momma got me a Buddha to keep things this way.


We live here.
It isn't perfect.
But it's ours and we love it and have worked hard for this.
We find beauty everywhere but we know that this beauty is that of our family.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Other Blogs I Love

  • How charming is this little hobbitesque house? It was built by Simon Dale for his family for only £3000. The frame of the house is made from locally s...
  • Love, Melanie
  • Hello, dear friends! I'm so sorry I've been absent here for so long! Summer has been so wonderfully busy and full of joy. We have been doing lots of things...
  • Many moons ago when I was studying agriculture as a farm apprentice I became close friends with my bunk mate Ian. Ian and I didn’t have much in common at f...
  • There was a slight shift in my breathing this weekend, as I settled into a few projects here at home. The first few weeks of this whole thing felt like a f...

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Meet The Author

I’m Stephanie, the mind and Momma behind The Heirloom Family. I created this blog as a way to capture the magic of our family and the beauty of every day slow and simple living. I also hope it serves as an inspiration to you as well.

Nestled in our little corner of the Earth in Western New York, I am lucky enough to share my home with my husband and our daughter, along with 4 cheerful cats.

We strive for a wholesome life, one that is slow and steady. I want to breathe it in, this time we have, and I might just be lucky enough to see the magic in it all.

There are so many things in life that I love – nature. crochet. photography. gardening. cooking. faith. honey. reading. sunsets and sunrises. flowers. ballet. enchantment. Dave Matthews Band. the moon. rainbows. babywearing. lavender and sandalwood. celebrations. music. hippie. poetry. love. the forest. romantic history. cats. dreamcatchers. wool. heritage. family. lilac. red wine. memories.