Martinmas

This was our first year celebrating Martinmas and I can tell already, it will always hold a special place in my heart.

Martinmas is centered around the idea of light; the light inside each one of us and the light that we share with others. This day is a celebration of St. Martin who shared his cloak with a beggar and gives us inspiration to hold onto our light going into the dark winter nights.


At school, each child was invited to decorate their own lantern to be used during the lantern walk later in the day. As the children glued each piece of autumn-colored tissue paper to the lantern, you could see the calmness and joyfulness in each of their faces.


Because our group is for children under 4 year old, we do our lantern walk in school instead of outside at night in the woods. They turn off every light and we travel as a group carrying our lighted lanterns singing wonderful songs. We toured classrooms with our lanterns and the other children joined in. Teachers, administrators, everyone stopped and their faces lit up and came to give this special time the reverence it deserved.

"I go out with my lantern,
my lantern goes with me,
Above the stars are shining
on Earth shining are we.
The light grows dim,
we must go in.
La bimba, la bamba,
la boom.
The light grows dim,
we must go in.
La bimba, la bamba,
la boom."


I had chills running up and down and tears welling up in my eyes. It has forever ingrained a memory in my mind that I will cherish.


It was magical, beyond words.




0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Other Blogs I Love

  • How charming is this little hobbitesque house? It was built by Simon Dale for his family for only £3000. The frame of the house is made from locally s...
  • Love, Melanie
  • Hello, dear friends! I'm so sorry I've been absent here for so long! Summer has been so wonderfully busy and full of joy. We have been doing lots of things...
  • Many moons ago when I was studying agriculture as a farm apprentice I became close friends with my bunk mate Ian. Ian and I didn’t have much in common at f...
  • There was a slight shift in my breathing this weekend, as I settled into a few projects here at home. The first few weeks of this whole thing felt like a f...

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Meet The Author

I’m Stephanie, the mind and Momma behind The Heirloom Family. I created this blog as a way to capture the magic of our family and the beauty of every day slow and simple living. I also hope it serves as an inspiration to you as well.

Nestled in our little corner of the Earth in Western New York, I am lucky enough to share my home with my husband and our daughter, along with 4 cheerful cats.

We strive for a wholesome life, one that is slow and steady. I want to breathe it in, this time we have, and I might just be lucky enough to see the magic in it all.

There are so many things in life that I love – nature. crochet. photography. gardening. cooking. faith. honey. reading. sunsets and sunrises. flowers. ballet. enchantment. Dave Matthews Band. the moon. rainbows. babywearing. lavender and sandalwood. celebrations. music. hippie. poetry. love. the forest. romantic history. cats. dreamcatchers. wool. heritage. family. lilac. red wine. memories.