Why We Go Out in the Cold

For many of us here up North, this winter has been brutal. The snow and frigid temperatures have been relentless.

If it were just me, I'm betting I'd be spending more than a few afternoons snuggled up inside without wanting to layer up to get some fresh air. But it isn't just me; I have a three year old little girl who is looking to experience the world and imitating my response to it.

I read an article the other day and it got me thinking about the reasons why we go outside, even in the frigid cold.

Here are our top reasons:

1. Her enjoyment is more important to me than my complaining.

She loves the snow. She gets so excited about it and I don't want to hamper that. If this little 30-pound sack of potatoes can get out there and enjoy it with wild abandonment, why can't I?



2. Each time I do, I learn to love it a little more.

Just like easing yourself into a cold pool, it doesn't feel too great when the icy wind gets you as soon as you walk outside. Yet, once I'm out there, I find myself enjoying it. That makes it easier to do it again the next day.


3. My Dad would take us out in the cold.

I have vivid memories of exploring the world with my brother on what felt like the coldest days and here I am today, a girl who loves to be outside. If we were to stay inside unless it was comfortable outside, we'd be only going out 6 months of the year and how would she learn appreciation for Mother Nature that way?


4. Otherwise, I'd miss moments like this.

Simply put, there is something amazing that happens when you watch a little girl climb to the top of a huge snow mountain. That takes bravery and strength and gives pride and accomplishment.




5. Things are more magical with snow.

The everyday mundane seems a little more enchanting with a coat of snow on it.




6. Winter is quieter.

Less hustle and bustle. The snow absorbing some of the sound waves. It's just quieter. And you get to pay attention to the crows calling down or watch the rabbit leap across the path over the snow. You also never know who you might meet on your neighborhood walk.There is so much to be missed out there if you don't go.



7. I want to show her how to roll with the punches.

I want her to learn that there are ups and downs to everything. And the downs can be just that - down. But we still have the power of mind to make the most of whatever we're given and handle it with grace.  It is cold and I'll openly say it's cold but I try my hardest not to complain about it (at least, not when she can hear me).


8. You don't appreciate what you have until it's gone.

When the warmer weather rolls around I am so filled with gratefulness. I am thankful I don't have to get ready with layers and layers. I am thankful for conversations across the garden gate. I am thankful for long days that turn into long evenings.



So I started this post about how if it were just me, I'd be hibernating through the winter but I'm starting to think that one day, when it is just me and my girl flies the coop, I might still be out there because of what she taught me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Other Blogs I Love

  • How charming is this little hobbitesque house? It was built by Simon Dale for his family for only £3000. The frame of the house is made from locally s...
  • Love, Melanie
  • Hello, dear friends! I'm so sorry I've been absent here for so long! Summer has been so wonderfully busy and full of joy. We have been doing lots of things...
  • Many moons ago when I was studying agriculture as a farm apprentice I became close friends with my bunk mate Ian. Ian and I didn’t have much in common at f...
  • There was a slight shift in my breathing this weekend, as I settled into a few projects here at home. The first few weeks of this whole thing felt like a f...

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Meet The Author

I’m Stephanie, the mind and Momma behind The Heirloom Family. I created this blog as a way to capture the magic of our family and the beauty of every day slow and simple living. I also hope it serves as an inspiration to you as well.

Nestled in our little corner of the Earth in Western New York, I am lucky enough to share my home with my husband and our daughter, along with 4 cheerful cats.

We strive for a wholesome life, one that is slow and steady. I want to breathe it in, this time we have, and I might just be lucky enough to see the magic in it all.

There are so many things in life that I love – nature. crochet. photography. gardening. cooking. faith. honey. reading. sunsets and sunrises. flowers. ballet. enchantment. Dave Matthews Band. the moon. rainbows. babywearing. lavender and sandalwood. celebrations. music. hippie. poetry. love. the forest. romantic history. cats. dreamcatchers. wool. heritage. family. lilac. red wine. memories.