Book Review: The Yellow House


With having no prior knowledge about this book, I only snagged "The Yellow House" at the consignment shop because I was easily drawn in by the illustrations by Helen Craig. They are soft and simple.
Plus, I've always wanted a yellow house.


Quite charming and enchanting, Blake Morrison tells the story of a little girl who passes by a particular house on her way to the playground and all the fun secrets that are held there.

It makes me think more of our almost daily walks to the playground and how Tessa might also create a story line in her imagination about one of the houses we always see.


We've been reading this since Tessa was about two and a half. I'm not sure it would be as captivating for a child before that. There is nothing inappropriate or age sensitive about The Yellow House, it just has a longer story line than a board book might.


I would highly recommend this book if you could get your hands on it for a reasonable price. It may not be a classic but it is read almost every day here in our household as you can see here. Each time through is just as captivating as the last. And unlike many others, I don't feel the nag of repetitiveness... I like the story too. 

You can buy the book here: The Yellow House


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Other Blogs I Love

  • How charming is this little hobbitesque house? It was built by Simon Dale for his family for only £3000. The frame of the house is made from locally s...
  • Love, Melanie
  • Hello, dear friends! I'm so sorry I've been absent here for so long! Summer has been so wonderfully busy and full of joy. We have been doing lots of things...
  • Many moons ago when I was studying agriculture as a farm apprentice I became close friends with my bunk mate Ian. Ian and I didn’t have much in common at f...
  • There was a slight shift in my breathing this weekend, as I settled into a few projects here at home. The first few weeks of this whole thing felt like a f...

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Meet The Author

I’m Stephanie, the mind and Momma behind The Heirloom Family. I created this blog as a way to capture the magic of our family and the beauty of every day slow and simple living. I also hope it serves as an inspiration to you as well.

Nestled in our little corner of the Earth in Western New York, I am lucky enough to share my home with my husband and our daughter, along with 4 cheerful cats.

We strive for a wholesome life, one that is slow and steady. I want to breathe it in, this time we have, and I might just be lucky enough to see the magic in it all.

There are so many things in life that I love – nature. crochet. photography. gardening. cooking. faith. honey. reading. sunsets and sunrises. flowers. ballet. enchantment. Dave Matthews Band. the moon. rainbows. babywearing. lavender and sandalwood. celebrations. music. hippie. poetry. love. the forest. romantic history. cats. dreamcatchers. wool. heritage. family. lilac. red wine. memories.