2nd Annual Camping Trip

Our second annual camping trip went off with a bang, that's for certain! More on that later.

We had a gorgeous first day, right next to racoon walking paths, beautiful berries and wildflowers along with gnome-holed trees and enchanting moss.







Snacks were endless. Smores were enjoyed the minute we arrived as Daddy worked on the fire. Even the squirrel squirreled away a grape.




But then it was the night that changed it all. I should preface this with saying that I enjoy all sorts of weather, even sometimes giddy with the extreme weather. However... and that's a big however... we experience the largest lightening storm I could recall while residing in a steel-pole tent for the night.

The booms of thunder across Letchworth's canyon were otherworldly and the lightening came at such a frequency that we didn't need flashlights to run to the safety of the car.

I was petrified, shaking and all. Not my best moment.


We awoke the next morning to a beautiful day, of course.


And I was rewarded with some beautiful images.



We went for a hike in the morning to the Lower Falls with one sassy lady.















And then my Dad and sister, Maria, came and spent the night with us. They are now required to come each and every time we camp. Maria really wanted to rough it and sleep on a tarp outside but with the impending rain they thankfully decided to sleep inside with us. My Dad woke up early the next morning and it was such a delight sharing a cup of coffee with him, especially since he makes his stovetop. 




They brought with them such much need firewood, thank goodness.


Before the night sky settled it, we made our way to Hogsback Overlook.








The next day, I had to see the Glen Iris before we left and the rain came back. It is simply one of my most favorite places.












Lastly, we made our way to Mary Jemison's honoring.





I love this place. I love my family. And I love our special times together.








0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Other Blogs I Love

  • How charming is this little hobbitesque house? It was built by Simon Dale for his family for only £3000. The frame of the house is made from locally s...
  • Love, Melanie
  • Hello, dear friends! I'm so sorry I've been absent here for so long! Summer has been so wonderfully busy and full of joy. We have been doing lots of things...
  • Many moons ago when I was studying agriculture as a farm apprentice I became close friends with my bunk mate Ian. Ian and I didn’t have much in common at f...
  • There was a slight shift in my breathing this weekend, as I settled into a few projects here at home. The first few weeks of this whole thing felt like a f...

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Meet The Author

I’m Stephanie, the mind and Momma behind The Heirloom Family. I created this blog as a way to capture the magic of our family and the beauty of every day slow and simple living. I also hope it serves as an inspiration to you as well.

Nestled in our little corner of the Earth in Western New York, I am lucky enough to share my home with my husband and our daughter, along with 4 cheerful cats.

We strive for a wholesome life, one that is slow and steady. I want to breathe it in, this time we have, and I might just be lucky enough to see the magic in it all.

There are so many things in life that I love – nature. crochet. photography. gardening. cooking. faith. honey. reading. sunsets and sunrises. flowers. ballet. enchantment. Dave Matthews Band. the moon. rainbows. babywearing. lavender and sandalwood. celebrations. music. hippie. poetry. love. the forest. romantic history. cats. dreamcatchers. wool. heritage. family. lilac. red wine. memories.