Wrap Scrap Necklace

Although Tessa is out of the teething stage, we still nurse and babywear so I knew I could get some use from this necklace.

I bought my beloved dream rainbow wrap back in October, a Girasol Iridescence (size 6). I've had many other woven wraps including a different rainbow but I wanted the ultimate, true rainbow and this was it!


And I wore it as a wrap for a while but eventually when I was able to do back carries with Tessa, it was just too long for the non-intricate carries I needed. I found myself using it less and less yet, this was supposed to be my favorite wrap. And when I would use it, it would not be out and about but rather in the house. I used my ring sling much more on the go and that's where I wanted to share my rainbow love - with other people, not our four walls. So I made the (scary!) decision to have it converted by a professional (sleeping baby productions) into a ring sling and it was fantastic! 

With the conversion of a size six, I was able to get two large ring slings and I had a scrap leftover which was about 8.5" x 26".


To make the necklace, I cut it length wise to create two strips of 4.5" x 26". I sewed them together to make one long strip measuring 4.5" x 52". I only did this because of the length I had. If you can get a length 52"-58" long, choose that so you don't have a seam in the middle.

I made a tube by sewing along the edge of the long side, leaving the two short ends open. I then had to turn it inside out to hide the seams.




Now it was time for beads and knots. I tied a knot about 13" down from one side and then dropped in a wooden bead. Knotted it and repeated this over and over again until I had the look I wanted.



Then I slipped one end of the tube into the other and sewed a double line for security.

It's not perfect but it keeps my girly's hand busy when we're nursing or when she's up in a carrier. Which means she isn't yanking (and almost breaking) my amber necklace. 

Plus it's  rainbow necklace - doesn't get better than that!






0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Other Blogs I Love

  • How charming is this little hobbitesque house? It was built by Simon Dale for his family for only £3000. The frame of the house is made from locally s...
  • Love, Melanie
  • Hello, dear friends! I'm so sorry I've been absent here for so long! Summer has been so wonderfully busy and full of joy. We have been doing lots of things...
  • Many moons ago when I was studying agriculture as a farm apprentice I became close friends with my bunk mate Ian. Ian and I didn’t have much in common at f...
  • There was a slight shift in my breathing this weekend, as I settled into a few projects here at home. The first few weeks of this whole thing felt like a f...

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Meet The Author

I’m Stephanie, the mind and Momma behind The Heirloom Family. I created this blog as a way to capture the magic of our family and the beauty of every day slow and simple living. I also hope it serves as an inspiration to you as well.

Nestled in our little corner of the Earth in Western New York, I am lucky enough to share my home with my husband and our daughter, along with 4 cheerful cats.

We strive for a wholesome life, one that is slow and steady. I want to breathe it in, this time we have, and I might just be lucky enough to see the magic in it all.

There are so many things in life that I love – nature. crochet. photography. gardening. cooking. faith. honey. reading. sunsets and sunrises. flowers. ballet. enchantment. Dave Matthews Band. the moon. rainbows. babywearing. lavender and sandalwood. celebrations. music. hippie. poetry. love. the forest. romantic history. cats. dreamcatchers. wool. heritage. family. lilac. red wine. memories.