Lightning

I remember being a little girl and standing at the backdoor with my Daddy watching thunder and lightning storms. They are fascinating, exhilarating and simply exciting. The smell of the air changes, the sound of leaves rustling is different and you just know a storm is coming through. I love that feeling of waiting for the storm to come and watching and listening in awe as each thunder booms and lightning strikes.

Never did I think there could be much more fun than that... until last night. I got to share that awesome moment with our daughter.



As we laid in bed last night trying to fall asleep, I caught the first distant flash of lightning light up the sky. It's been a long winter in these parts so to have a warm "summer storm" come our way was something worth prolonging bedtime for.

We laid together with the window open and blowing the cool breeze through the hazy and warm humidity in the house from the day. She laid her head on my belly as she watched so intently, desperate to see what I was watching. And then there it was -- a big, beautiful blast of white light illuminating the dark clouds of the night. And she was enchanted in such a magical way.

We watched and giggled as each wave of low thunder and bright light came through. We scampered under the sheets when the cool air touched our skin. She reminded me to be patient as we waited for the next piece of magic to come our way. She snuggled ever so closely, enough that I smelled every inch of her little beautiful head and drifted off to sleep.





I felt like a Mom today... her Momma, the most beautiful award I could ever be given.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Other Blogs I Love

  • How charming is this little hobbitesque house? It was built by Simon Dale for his family for only £3000. The frame of the house is made from locally s...
  • Love, Melanie
  • Hello, dear friends! I'm so sorry I've been absent here for so long! Summer has been so wonderfully busy and full of joy. We have been doing lots of things...
  • Many moons ago when I was studying agriculture as a farm apprentice I became close friends with my bunk mate Ian. Ian and I didn’t have much in common at f...
  • There was a slight shift in my breathing this weekend, as I settled into a few projects here at home. The first few weeks of this whole thing felt like a f...

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Meet The Author

I’m Stephanie, the mind and Momma behind The Heirloom Family. I created this blog as a way to capture the magic of our family and the beauty of every day slow and simple living. I also hope it serves as an inspiration to you as well.

Nestled in our little corner of the Earth in Western New York, I am lucky enough to share my home with my husband and our daughter, along with 4 cheerful cats.

We strive for a wholesome life, one that is slow and steady. I want to breathe it in, this time we have, and I might just be lucky enough to see the magic in it all.

There are so many things in life that I love – nature. crochet. photography. gardening. cooking. faith. honey. reading. sunsets and sunrises. flowers. ballet. enchantment. Dave Matthews Band. the moon. rainbows. babywearing. lavender and sandalwood. celebrations. music. hippie. poetry. love. the forest. romantic history. cats. dreamcatchers. wool. heritage. family. lilac. red wine. memories.